In this guide, you will learn everything you need to know about planning or attending a destination wedding in Ohio.
Weddings in Ohio: What You Need To Know
If you’re searching for a unique destination wedding location, look no further than Ohio.
With its charming small towns, beautiful parks, and historic venues, Ohio offers something for everyone.
From the sandstone cliffs of Hocking Hills to the shores of Lake Erie, there are endless possibilities for your perfect day.
And whether you’re looking for a rustic setting or a luxurious resort, you’ll find it in Ohio.
And with so many amazing venues to choose from, you’re sure to find the perfect place to exchange vows.
So if you’re searching for somewhere truly special to tie the knot, look no further than the Buckeye State.
So start planning your dream wedding today – Ohio awaits!
But first: you need to know where in the world Ohio is…
Where is Ohio?
Ohio is a state located in the midwest of the United States. It is bordered by Michigan to the northwest, Pennsylvania to the east, West Virginia to the southeast, Kentucky to the south, Indiana to the west, and Lake Erie is in the north.
Area: 44,826 sq mi (116,098 sq km). Population: (2020) 11,799,448.
Ohio Facts To Know:
- Language: English
- Currency: U.S. dollar (USD)
- Airports: Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE), John Glenn Columbus International Airport (CMH)
- Official Tourism Website: https://www.visittheusa.com/state/ohio
- Driving side: Right
Below you will find some more useful information about visiting Ohio for your special day:
4 Tips for Planning a Destination Wedding in Ohio
Planning a wedding can be stressful. Planning a destination wedding can be even more stressful!
But it doesn’t have to be. Here are some tips and things you need to know for planning a destination wedding in Ohio:
1. Choose a date that works for both you and your guests
Choosing a wedding date can be a daunting task, whether you are planning on getting married in Ohio or closer to home.
You want to make sure that you pick a date that works for both you and your guests.
Here are some tips to help you choose the perfect wedding date:
- How To Pick A Date For A Wedding?
- When To Send Out Save The Date For Wedding?
- How To Write Date On Wedding Invitation?
2. Decide on a budget
When it comes to having a Ohio wedding, there are a lot of different factors that come into play – from the guest list to the venue.
But one of the most important decisions you’ll make is how much you’re willing to spend.
Here are some tips on how to decide on a budget for your wedding:
- How To Plan A Wedding On A Budget?
- What Is A Good Wedding Budget?
- How To Decorate A Wedding Reception Hall On A Budget?
3. Find a venue that fits your vision and budget
No one ever said wedding planning was easy. In fact, it can often feel downright daunting.
Here’s some useful resources for finding a wedding venue in Ohio:
4. Hire a wedding planner to take care of the details
A wedding planner can take care of everything for you, from booking vendors to creating a timeline for the day.
Here are some tips on how to find and hire the right planner for your big day in Ohio
Ohio Weddings: Key Information
Getting married abroad is a big decision. There’s a lot of things you need to be aware of if you want your big day to run smoothly.
To help, we have put together some useful information about getting married in Ohio:
- What is the average cost of a wedding in Ohio?
- What are the marriage requirements for Ohio?
- What is the weather like in Ohio?
- What should you pack for a trip to Ohio?
- What things are there to do in Ohio?
- What are the best Ohio wedding venues?
Read on to find out more:
How Much Does a Wedding in Ohio Cost?
Marriage license cost in Oregon is $40 – $75 depending on the county.
If either applicant is intoxicated or under the influence of a controlled drug, the marriage license will not be issued.
Both parties must come in person and present proof of identity – a picture ID with date of birth like a driver’s license, state ID card, or valid passport.
Legal Requirements for Getting Married in Ohio
- To apply for a marriage license, one must be at least 18 years old.
- No witnesses are needed at the ceremony.
- The license is valid for 60 days from the issue date, and there is no waiting period.
- A marriage license cannot be obtained without the presence of both parties.
- When applying for a marriage license, you will need to provide a photo identification that proves your identity and age, and your social security number if applicable.
- Blood tests are not required.
- There is no restriction for foreign people marrying in Ohio, provided that they are in the country legally and get the proper marriage licenses.
- All additional documents (like a certified copy of your birth certificate) need to be translated into English.
- Before making any wedding or travel preparations, make sure you have all the paperwork needed for your marriage to be recognized in your home country by checking with the local county clerk or marriage official where you intend to marry.
- What you need to have in your possession before leaving the country is a legal document that can confirm that your marriage is legitimate and has been registered – the marriage certificate.
What Is The Weather Like in Ohio?
Spring and fall, particularly the months of May and September, are by far the most pleasant periods to go to Ohio.
However, throughout the summer months it is often not too hot, which means that you may still visit at this time of year, even more so if you are not afraid of the heat.
You may enjoy the stunning hues of the trees shedding their leaves from mid-October to early November (the phenomenon called fall foliage).
What should you pack for your trip?
Ohio is a state with four distinct seasons, so visitors should pack accordingly.
Choosing what to bring on a vacation to Ohio might seem difficult because of the variable weather and frequent rain that the state experiences all year long.
In the summer pack for warm weather – short sleeves shirts, dresses, tank tops. It is best if clothes are made of natural materials like cotton or linen. In the summer and also spring and fall It is advisable to also bring some warmer garments like a light jacket and/or a sweatshirt.
Beachwear is also a good idea in case you go swimming in lake Erie.
In the winter dress warmly. Long-sleeved shirts, trousers, sweaters, and sweatshirts fall under this category. Warmer fibers, like wool or fleece are recommended.
Ohio Weather By Month
Below you will find some useful information and handy tables of weather information to help you pick the best month to visit Ohio:
Average Temperatures in Ohio
The table below shows the average temperatures in Ohio each month:
|Month||Min (°C)||Max (°C)||Mean (°C)||Min (°F)||Max (°F)||Mean (°F)|
Average Rainfall in Ohio
The table below shows the average rainfall in Ohio each month:
Sunshine Hours in Ohio
The table below shows the average sunshine hours in Ohio each month:
Lake Erie Temperatures in Ohio
The table below shows the average sea temperatures in Michigan each month:
|Month||Celsius (°C)||Fahrenheit (°F)|
What To Wear in Ohio? (Packing Tips)
It can be difficult to know what to pack for your vacation. However, there are a few things you should keep in mind when preparing for your trip.
We’ve put together some tips on what to wear in Ohio so that you can make the most of your time there.
- Comfortable shoes: You will want to explore all that Ohio has to offer.
- A map of the state, including major cities and attractions.
- Camera: Don’t forget to pack your camera to capture all your memories of this beautiful state!
- Sunscreen: If you are planning on doing any hiking or outdoor activities, make sure to pack sunscreen.
- Rain jacket: A waterproof jacket is also a good idea, as rain is common.
- Insect repellent, to keep unwanted critters at bay.
- Hat and sunglasses: A hat and sunglasses will help you in the Ohio sunshine.
- Passport: Other essential items to pack include a valid passport and any necessary visas.
- Travel insurance: Make sure you have travel insurance that will cover you in case of any medical emergencies or lost baggage.
- Chargers: Also, be sure to bring along any chargers and travel power adapters you’ll need for your electronic devices.
- First-aid kit: It is also a good idea to pack a first-aid kit, in case of any minor injuries, and also any essential medications.
Things to Do in Ohio
There are many different things to do in Ohio, no matter what time of year you visit.
Here is a list of some of the top activities to enjoy during your stay:
- Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
- Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden
- Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
- Cleveland Museum of Art
- West Side Market
- Hocking Hills State Park
- Cedar Point
- A Christmas Story House
- National Museum of the US Air Force
- Old Man’s Cave
- Ash Cave
Best Ohio Wedding Venues & Hotels
With so many stunning locations to choose from, how do you know which is the best wedding venue in Ohio?
Here are our picks for the top spots to tie the knot, as well as hotels to stay in:
Wedding Venues in Ohio
- Cincinnati Art Museum
- Kingwood Center Gardens in Mansfield
- The Lake Erie Building in Lakewood
- Brewmaster’s Gate in Columbus
- Glendale Lyceum in Cincinnati
- Canyon Run Ranch in Pleasant Hill
- The Willow Tree in Tipp City
- The Glidden House in Cleveland
- Heathfields Farm in Williamsburg
- Westbrook Country Club in Mansfield
Hotels in Ohio
- Hyatt House Columbus OSU Short North
- TownePlace Suites – Cincinnati
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Dayton North – Vandalia, an IHG Hotel
- Mills Park Hotel – Fairborn
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites – Beavercreek
- Inn at Amish Door – Wilmot
- Athens Central Hotel