In this guide, you will learn everything you need to know about planning or attending a destination wedding in Georgia.
Weddings in Georgia: What You Need To Know
A destination wedding in Georgia can be a truly magical event.
Whether you’re looking for an intimate gathering or a grand affair, a destination wedding in Georgia is sure to be an unforgettable experience for you and your guests.
From the rolling hills of the north to the stunning coast of the south, Georgia offers a wide variety of landscapes to choose from.
And with its mild climate and abundance of trees, flowers, and other plants, Georgia is a veritable paradise for nature lovers.
Whether you’re envisioning a rustic ceremony in the woods or a glamorous event on the beach, you’re sure to find a location in Georgia that suits your needs.
Plus, with its convenient location and diverse range of attractions, Georgia is an ideal destination for guests who are coming from out of state.
From Atlanta’s world-class museums to Savannah’s historic cobblestone streets, there’s something for everyone in this southern state.
So if you’re looking for a truly unforgettable setting for your destination wedding, look no further than Georgia.
But first: you need to know where in the world Georgia is…
Where is Georgia?
Georgia is a southeastern U.S. state.
Georgia borders Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, and Alabama, while the Atlantic Ocean lies to the southeast.
Area: 59,425 sq mi (153,911 sq km), Population: (2020) 10,711,908, Capital: Atlanta.
Georgia Facts To Know:
- Language: English
- Currency: U.S. dollar (USD)
- Airports: Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL), Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport (SAV)
- Official Tourism Website:https://www.exploregeorgia.org/
- Driving side: Right
Below you will find some more useful information about visiting Georgia for your special day:
4 Tips for Planning a Destination Wedding in Georgia
Planning a wedding can be stressful. Planning a destination wedding can be even more stressful!
But it doesn’t have to be. Here are some tips and things you need to know for planning a destination wedding in Georgia:
1. Choose a date that works for both you and your guests
Choosing a wedding date can be a daunting task, whether you are planning on getting married in Georgia or closer to home.
You want to make sure that you pick a date that works for both you and your guests.
Here are some tips to help you choose the perfect wedding date:
- How To Pick A Date For A Wedding?
- When To Send Out Save The Date For Wedding?
- How To Write Date On Wedding Invitation?
2. Decide on a budget
When it comes to having a Georgia wedding, there are a lot of different factors that come into play – from the guest list to the venue.
But one of the most important decisions you’ll make is how much you’re willing to spend.
Here are some tips on how to decide on a budget for your wedding:
- How To Plan A Wedding On A Budget?
- What Is A Good Wedding Budget?
- How To Decorate A Wedding Reception Hall On A Budget?
3. Find a venue that fits your vision and budget
No one ever said wedding planning was easy. In fact, it can often feel downright daunting.
Here’s some useful resources for finding a wedding venue in Georgia:
4. Hire a wedding planner to take care of the details
A wedding planner can take care of everything for you, from booking vendors to creating a timeline for the day.
Here are some tips on how to find and hire the right planner for your big day in Georgia
Georgia Weddings: Key Information
Getting married abroad is a big decision. There’s a lot of things you need to be aware of if you want your big day to run smoothly.
To help, we have put together some useful information about getting married in Georgia:
- What is the average cost of a wedding in Georgia?
- What are the marriage requirements for Georgia?
- What is the weather like in Georgia?
- What should you pack for a trip to Georgia?
- What things are there to do in Georgia?
- What are the best Georgia wedding venues?
Read on to find out more:
How Much Does a Wedding in Georgia Cost?
Marriage license cost in Georgia is $56.
By completing a premarital educational program recognized by the state, you may have the fee reduced to $16.
Legal Requirements for Getting Married in Georgia
- License must be issued in the county where the ceremony will take place if neither partner is a Georgia resident (foreign nationals included).
- A marriage license cannot be obtained without the presence of both parties.
- When applying for a marriage license, you will need to provide identification that proves your identity and age, and also proof of divorce (if applicable).
- To apply for a marriage license, one must be at least 18 years old
- According to Georgia law, 2 witnesses are needed.
- The Georgia marriage license does not have an expiration date.
- Blood tests are not required.
- If you apply for a marriage license and have all the necessary paperwork on hand, you may be married the same day.
- There is no restriction for foreign people marrying in Georgia, provided that they are in the country legally and get the proper marriage license.
- All additional documents (like a certified copy of your birth certificate) need to be translated into English.
Within 30 days following the wedding, you must submit your signed marriage license to the probate court. After that, your marriage certificate will be sent to you within the subsequent 30 days.
Before making any wedding or travel preparations, make sure you have all the paperwork needed for your marriage to be recognized in your home country by checking with the local county clerk or marriage official where you intend to marry.
What you need to have in your possession before leaving the country is a legal document that can confirm that your marriage is legitimate and has been registered – the marriage certificate.
What Is The Weather Like in Georgia?
The best times to visit Georgia are spring and autumn, in particular, the months of April and May, and from mid-September through late October.
What should you pack for your trip?
The summer months bring high levels of humidity, especially to areas that are located in close proximity to Atlanta. In the summer, ideal apparel includes shorts, tank tops, T-shirts, light dresses, and other light clothing. Make sure to bring your swimwear if you’re planning on visiting the water park at Six Flags Over Georgia in Atlanta or one of the island beaches off the state’s eastern coast.
In spring and fall bring a light coat for the cool evenings.
Outside of the northern mountain area, winters in Georgia are brief and moderate, with little or no snowfall. It’s doubtful you will require a heavy winter jacket throughout your visit. The combination of a warm coat, pants, long-sleeved shirts, and sweaters should be sufficient to keep you warm. Bring along a scarf and a hat to keep your neck and ears warm.
Georgia Weather By Month
Below you will find some useful information and handy tables of weather information to help you pick the best month to visit Georgia:
Average Temperatures in Georgia
The table below shows the average temperatures in Georgia each month:
|Month||Min (°C)||Max (°C)||Mean (°C)||Min (°F)||Max (°F)||Mean (°F)|
Average Rainfall in Georgia
The table below shows the average rainfall in Georgia each month:
Sunshine Hours in Georgia
The table below shows the average sunshine hours in Georgia each month:
Sea Temperatures in Georgia
The table below shows the average sea temperatures in Georgia each month:
|Month||Celsius (°C)||Fahrenheit (°F)|
What To Wear in Georgia? (Packing Tips)
It can be difficult to know what to pack for your vacation. However, there are a few things you should keep in mind when preparing for your trip.
We’ve put together some tips on what to wear in Georgia so that you can make the most of your time there.
A trip to Georgia is a great opportunity to explore the southeastern United States. Here are a few items to pack for your trip:
- Sunscreen: Georgia is known for its warm, sunny weather. Be sure to pack sunscreen to protect your skin from the sun.
- Insect repellent: Mosquitoes and other insects can be a nuisance when you’re trying to enjoy the outdoors. Pack insect repellent to keep them at bay.
- Hat and sunglasses: A hat and sunglasses will help you in the hot Georgia sunshine.
- Comfortable shoes: You’ll want to pack comfortable shoes for walking, hiking, or any other activities you have planned.
- Camera: Don’t forget to bring a camera to capture all your memories of this beautiful state.
- Passport: Other essential items to pack include a valid passport and any necessary visas.
- Travel insurance: Make sure you have travel insurance that will cover you in case of any medical emergencies or lost baggage.
- Chargers: Also, be sure to bring along any chargers and travel power adapters you’ll need for your electronic devices.
- First-aid kit: It is also a good idea to pack a first-aid kit, in case of any minor injuries, and also any essential medications.
Things to Do in Georgia
There are many different things to do in Georgia, no matter what time of year you visit.
Here is a list of some of the top activities to enjoy during your stay:
- Stone Mountain Park
- Cumberland Island
- Blue Ridge
- Tybee Island
- Jekyll Island
- St. Simons Island
- Mercier Orchards
- Tallulah Gorge State Park
- Lake Oconee
Best Georgia Wedding Venues & Hotels
With so many stunning locations to choose from, how do you know which is the best wedding venue in Georgia?
Here are our picks for the top spots to tie the knot, as well as hotels to stay in:
Wedding Venues in Georgia
- Atlanta History Center
- Inn at Serenbe
- Sweet Meadow Farms
- The Wheeler House
- Jekyll Island Club Resort
- Tybee Island Wedding Chapel & Grand Ballroom
- The Ruins at Kellum Valley Farm
- The Venue at Tryphena’s Garden
- In The Woods
Hotels in Georgia
- Gillen House Luxury Bed and Breakfast
- The Drayton Hotel
- BCA Furnished Apartments
- Studios On 25th by BCA Furnished Apartments
- Bear Creek Lodge & Cabins- Pet Friendly
- Avid hotel Augusta W in Grovetown
- Holiday Inn Club Vacations Apple Mountain Resort at Clarkesville