In this guide, you will learn everything you need to know about planning or attending a destination wedding in Nicaragua.
Weddings in Nicaragua: What You Need To Know
If you’re looking for a truly unique destination wedding, consider Nicaragua.
This Central American country offers a variety of beautiful settings for your ceremony and reception, from the colonial city of Granada to the pristine beaches of the Pacific coast.
And with its friendly people and laid-back atmosphere, Nicaragua is the perfect place to relax and enjoy your special day.
Whether you want to exchange vows surrounded by lush jungle foliage or in front of a sparkling ocean sunset, you’ll find that Nicaragua has everything you need for an unforgettable wedding experience.
So start planning your dream destination wedding today, and let Nicaragua provide the perfect backdrop for your big day.
But first: you need to know where in the world Nicaragua is…
Where is Nicaragua?
Nicaragua is located in Central America, and is bordered by Honduras to the northwest, the Caribbean to the east, Costa Rica to the south, and the Pacific Ocean to the southwest.
Area: 50,337 sq mi (130,373 sq km), Population: (2022 est.) 6,734,000, Capital: Managua.
Nicaragua Facts To Know:
- Language: Spanish
- Currency: Nicaraguan córdoba
- Airports: Managua International Airport (MGA)
- Official Tourism Website:https://www.visitanicaragua.com/en/
- Driving side: Right
Below you will find some more useful information about visiting Nicaragua for your special day:
4 Tips for Planning a Destination Wedding in Nicaragua
Planning a wedding can be stressful. Planning a destination wedding can be even more stressful!
But it doesn’t have to be. Here are some tips and things you need to know for planning a destination wedding in Nicaragua:
1. Choose a date that works for both you and your guests
Choosing a wedding date can be a daunting task, whether you are planning on getting married in Nicaragua or closer to home.
You want to make sure that you pick a date that works for both you and your guests.
Here are some tips to help you choose the perfect wedding date:
- How To Pick A Date For A Wedding?
- When To Send Out Save The Date For Wedding?
- How To Write Date On Wedding Invitation?
2. Decide on a budget
When it comes to having a Nicaragua wedding, there are a lot of different factors that come into play – from the guest list to the venue.
But one of the most important decisions you’ll make is how much you’re willing to spend.
Here are some tips on how to decide on a budget for your wedding:
- How To Plan A Wedding On A Budget?
- What Is A Good Wedding Budget?
- How To Decorate A Wedding Reception Hall On A Budget?
3. Find a venue that fits your vision and budget
No one ever said wedding planning was easy. In fact, it can often feel downright daunting.
Here’s some useful resources for finding a wedding venue in Nicaragua:
4. Hire a wedding planner to take care of the details
A wedding planner can take care of everything for you, from booking vendors to creating a timeline for the day.
Here are some tips on how to find and hire the right planner for your big day in Nicaragua
Nicaragua Weddings: Key Information
Getting married abroad is a big decision. There’s a lot of things you need to be aware of if you want your big day to run smoothly.
To help, we have put together some useful information about getting married in Nicaragua:
- What is the average cost of a wedding in Nicaragua?
- What are the marriage requirements for Nicaragua?
- What is the weather like in Nicaragua?
- What should you pack for a trip to Nicaragua?
- What things are there to do in Nicaragua?
- What are the best Nicaragua wedding venues?
Read on to find out more:
How Much Does a Wedding in Nicaragua Cost?
Officiant fee (attorney or notary) in Nicaragua is $300.
Legal Requirements for Getting Married in Nicaragua
When applying for a marriage license, you will need to provide the following documents:
- Valid passport.
- Birth certificate.
- If you have already been married, provide the relevant documentation to demonstrate that you are either divorced or widowed.
- Name change document – generally all names on all documents need to match (including your parents’ names), otherwise proof of name change needs to be shown.
- Proof of single status.
Other legal requirements are:
- To apply for a marriage license, one must be at least 21 years old.
- 2 witnesses are required.
- There is no restriction for foreign people marrying in Nicaragua, provided that they are in the country legally and get the proper marriage license.
- All international paperwork has to be translated into English by an official translator. It is mandatory that they be authenticated with an Apostille stamp from your home country first.
Before making any wedding or travel preparations, make sure you have all the paperwork needed for your marriage to be recognized in your home country by checking with the local county clerk or marriage official where you intend to marry.
What you need to have in your possession before leaving the country is a legal document that can confirm that your marriage is legitimate and has been registered – the marriage certificate.
What Is The Weather Like in Nicaragua?
The months of December to April are ideal for visiting Nicaragua’s central and western regions (in Managua and in the northwest, you may prefer December and January, which are a little less hot).
However, the best time to visit the East Coast is restricted to March and April due to rainfall (but after all, you can also go in February, especially in the north, in Puerto Cabezas, where it rains less).
What should you pack for your trip?
Bring light clothes, a sweatshirt or sweater for the evening, as well as a raincoat or umbrella if you plan on visiting the Tierras Templadas or the slopes of the volcanoes at any time of the year.
During the dry season (May to mid-November in Managua, and in practice, throughout the year on the east coast), pack light clothes, a sweater or sweatshirt for the evening from November to March, and a hat for the sun.
During the wet season (May to mid-November in Managua, and in practice, throughout the year on the east coast), pack a lightweight raincoat for showers and thunderstorms.
Nicaragua Weather By Month
Below you will find some useful information and handy tables of weather information to help you pick the best month to visit Nicaragua:
Average Temperatures in Nicaragua
The table below shows the average temperatures in Nicaragua each month:
|Month||Min (°C)||Max (°C)||Mean (°C)||Min (°F)||Max (°F)||Mean (°F)|
Average Rainfall in Nicaragua
The table below shows the average rainfall in Nicaragua each month:
Sunshine Hours in Nicaragua
The table below shows the average sunshine hours in Nicaragua each month:
Sea Temperatures in Nicaragua
The table below shows the average sea temperatures in Nicaragua each month:
|Month||Celsius (°C)||Fahrenheit (°F)|
What To Wear in Nicaragua? (Packing Tips)
It can be difficult to know what to pack for your vacation. However, there are a few things you should keep in mind when preparing for your trip.
We’ve put together some tips on what to wear in Nicaragua so that you can make the most of your time there.
- Beachwear: Don’t forget to pack your swimsuit and other gadgets for the beach!
- Sunscreen, hat and sunglasses: The sun in Nicaragua can be quite intense, especially during the summer months.
- Insect repellent: Mosquitoes and other insects can be a nuisance when you’re trying to enjoy the outdoors.
- Comfortable clothing and comfortable shoes: Pack comfortable clothing that you can move around in easily, as many activities in Nicaragua involve being outdoors.
- Camera: Don’t forget to pack your camera! Portugal is full of beautiful scenery, from the beaches to the mountains, and you’ll want to be able to capture it all.
- Passport: Other essential items to pack include a valid passport and any necessary visas.
- Travel insurance: Make sure you have travel insurance that will cover you in case of any medical emergencies or lost baggage.
- Chargers: Also, be sure to bring along any chargers and travel power adapters you’ll need for your electronic devices.
- First-aid kit: It is also a good idea to pack a first-aid kit, in case of any minor injuries, and also any essential medications.
Things to Do in Nicaragua
There are many different things to do in Nicaragua, no matter what time of year you visit.
Here is a list of some of the top activities to enjoy during your stay:
- Volcan Concepcion
- Masaya Volcano National Park
- Islets of Granada
- Corn Islands
- Cerro Negro Volcano
- Somoto Canyon
- Isla Ometepe
- Antigua Catedral de Managua
- Catedral de Granada
- Mombacho Volcano Natural Reserve
- Ojo de Agua
- Puerto Salvador Allende
Best Nicaragua Wedding Venues & Hotels
With so many stunning locations to choose from, how do you know which is the best wedding venue in Nicaragua?
Here are our picks for the top spots to tie the knot, as well as hotels to stay in:
Wedding Venues in Nicaragua
- Maderas Village
- Pelican Eyes Hotel
- Rancho Santana
- Buena Vista Surf Club
- Verdad Nicaragua
- Hotel El Convento León Nicaragua
- Barcelo Hotels and Resort
- Hotel Los Robles, Managua, Nicaragua
- Los Patios Hotel Granada
- Hotel Plaza Marbella Granada
Hotels in Nicaragua
- Hospedaje Soma Ometepe Hotel
- Casa de Los Berrios
- Holiday Inn Express Managua, an IHG Hotel
- Costa Oeste
- Hotel Jardín de Granada Nicaragua
- Hotel Real La Merced
- TreeCasa Resort
- Hotel con Corazón