Are you looking for a creative and unique twist on your upcoming wedding day?
If so, why not look to the stars and consider having a space themed wedding?
With the proper planning, decorations, and attire, your nuptials can be out of this world!
This blog post from WedBuddy will provide everything you need to know about planning a stellar space themed wedding.
From awesome decor ideas to bridesmaids’ looks that are intergalactic chic, get ready to learn all the ins and outs of planning an extra special celestial celebration.
Space Weddings Explained
What is a space themed wedding?
A space themed wedding is the perfect way to bring your dreams of reaching the stars down to Earth.
It’s a unique celebration that blurs the line between reality and fantasy.
From constellation décor to galaxy-inspired gowns and celestial cake toppers and centerpieces, there are endless possibilities for making your wedding a fun and unique space themed experience.
Delight guests with celestial wedding theme elements throughout—from dreamy planets illuminated in the reception hall to glow-in-the-dark constellations on your cake—you can create memories that will last a lifetime.
It is an excellent opportunity to get creative and bring all your ideas and visions to life for your big day.
A space themed wedding is such a fun way to celebrate your love for each other and create a memorable wedding experience that reflects your personalities and interests.
If the idea of a wedding filled with glitter, moons, stars, bold colors, and planets resonates with you, it may be worth exploring as an option for your wedding plans.
16 Space Theme Wedding Ideas
Checkout these different ideas for your space themed wedding:
Ideas for Space Themed Wedding Decorations
1. Starry Sky Backdrop
A starry sky backdrop is a great way to create a beautiful and memorable setting for your space-themed wedding. Here are some ideas for creating a starry sky backdrop:
- Twinkle Lights: Use strings of twinkle lights to create a twinkling starry sky effect. Drape the lights over a backdrop stand, and add some sheer white or blue fabric to create a dreamy atmosphere.
- Fabric Backdrop: Use a large piece of fabric or paper in shades of blue, purple, and black to create a backdrop. Use paint or glitter to add stars, constellations, and other celestial designs.
- Projection-Mapping: Use a projection mapping system to create a realistic starry sky effect on a plain backdrop. You can also add moving images of planets and galaxies to create a dynamic and engaging backdrop.
- Balloon Galaxy: Use different-sized balloons in shades of blue, purple, and silver to create a galaxy-inspired backdrop. Add glitter or metallic streamers to give the balloons an extra shimmer.
- Moon and Star Backdrop: Use cardboard cutouts of moons and stars painted with metallic paint to create a 3D backdrop. You can also add some twinkling lights to complete the look.
No matter which starry sky backdrop you choose, be sure to add your own personal touches to make it truly unique and special.
The look of a beautiful starry night sky in an indoor space is a great way to add a touch of magic to your special day and create a lasting memory for you and your guests.
2. Cosmic Centerpieces
A space theme wedding is a beautiful and out of this world experience. To create the perfect atmosphere, cosmic centerpieces are ideal for the occasion.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Galaxy Vases: Fill tall glass vases with a mixture of glitter, beads, and small LED lights to create a swirling galaxy effect. You could also use some metallic-wrapped sweet treats or candies here too.
- Planet Terrariums: Use glass terrariums to create miniature planets, complete with colorful sand, rocks, and small plants.
- Starry Candle Holders: Use gold or silver spray paint to add a metallic sheen to glass votive candle holders. Then, use a hot glue gun to attach small plastic stars and constellations to the outside.
- Rocket Ship Centerpieces: Create miniature rocket ships using cardboard tubes, metallic paint, and small flags. Fill the base of the rocket with colorful flowers or greenery.
- Moon Rock Display: Use large glass bowls to display an assortment of “moon rocks” (rocks painted white or gray). Surround the display with star-shaped confetti or glitter.
These celestial wedding ideas will help you with picking your table decorations for your beautiful wedding.
Whichever cosmic centerpiece you choose, incorporate a mix of different textures and materials to create a truly out-of-this-world look for your celestial themed wedding.
3. Galactic Wedding Arch
A galactic archway is a fantastic way to create a space-themed entrance to your wedding ceremony or reception.
Here are a few ideas to help you create the perfect galactic archway:
- Twinkling Lights: Use strings of LED lights to create a twinkling effect that mimics the stars. Drape the lights over a metal or wooden archway, and add some greenery or flowers to complete the look.
- Galaxy Backdrop: Create a backdrop for your archway using a large piece of fabric or paper in shades of blue, purple, and black. Use paint or glitter to add stars, constellations, and other celestial designs.
- Balloon Galaxy: Use different sized balloons in shades of blue, purple, and silver to create a galaxy-inspired archway. Add glitter or metallic streamers to give the balloons an extra shimmer.
- Moon and Star Arch: Use a wooden archway as the base for your design, and attach oversized cardboard cutouts of moons and stars in various shapes and sizes. Paint them with metallic paint and add some twinkling lights to complete the look.
- Rocket Ship Arch: Create a small rocket ship archway using cardboard tubes, metallic paint, and other materials. Add some greenery or flowers to the rocket’s base to make it look like it’s launching into space.
Be sure to add your own personal touches to make it truly unique and special; there are so many possibilities – get creative.
Just imagine you and your wedding guests taking some fabulous wedding photos under the archway at your wedding venue!
3. Planetary Photo Booth Props
A photo booth is a great way to add some fun to your wedding.
Here are a few ideas for planetary photo booth props:
- Planet Masks: Create oversized masks of different planets, such as Saturn, Jupiter, and Mars. Use cardboard or foam board as the base, and paint them in the appropriate colors. Cut out eye holes so that guests can wear them for photos.
- Alien Antennae: Create fun alien antennae using pipe cleaners and pom poms. Use metallic or neon-colored pipe cleaners to add an extra pop of color.
- Star Sunglasses: Use plastic or paper star-shaped glasses as a prop. You can find these online or at party stores.
- Astronaut Helmets: Create astronaut helmets using cardboard or plastic bowls. Cut out eye and mouth holes, and add metallic paint for a realistic look.
- Moon and Star Wands: Create wands using cardboard cutouts of moons and stars attached to wooden dowels. Paint them metallic colors, and add some glitter for extra sparkle.
The sky really is the limit with photo booth props! Galaxy-style bold colors and metallic touches will make your wedding photos extra magical.
No matter which props you choose for your wedding party, have fun and take lots of photos to remember your special day.
4. Moon and Star Accents
Moon and star accents are a great way to incorporate a celestial touch into your big day.
Here are some ideas for incorporating moon and star accents into your wedding party:
- Hanging Decorations: Hang metallic star and moon decorations from the ceiling to create a starry sky effect. You can use string lights, metallic cutouts, or paper lanterns.
- Table Settings: Use moon and star-shaped dishes, placemats, or table runners to create a cohesive space-themed table setting. Add star confetti or metallic table scatter to complete the look.
- Cake Decorations: Use moon and star-shaped cake toppers, or decorate your cake with metallic stars and moon cutouts.
- Bride and Groom Accessories: Incorporate moon and star accents into your wedding day attire with celestial-themed jewelry or accessories—for example, a starry hairpiece for the bride or a moon-shaped cufflink for the groom.
- Bouquet Accents: Add moon and star-shaped charms or accents to your wedding bouquet. You can also use starry ribbons or metallic accents to tie the bouquet together.
However you incorporate moon and star accents into your celestial wedding theme, they are sure to add a touch of magic to your special day and make it an even more memorable occasion.
5. Glow-in-the-dark accents
Glow-in-the-dark accents are a fun way to add a unique touch to your space themed wedding.
Here are some ideas for incorporating glow-in-the-dark accents:
- Starry Ceiling: Use glow-in-the-dark paint to create a starry ceiling effect in your reception venue. You can also hang glow-in-the-dark stars and planets from the ceiling to enhance the effect.
- Cosmic Centerpieces: Use glow-in-the-dark paint or stickers to create a cosmic effect on your centerpieces. You can paint the vases or jars with a galaxy design or use glow-in-the-dark stars and planets as accents.
- Neon Signage: Use neon signs with celestial themes or quotes from famous space movies. You can also use glow-in-the-dark paint to create your custom signs.
- Wedding Favors: Give guests glow-in-the-dark favors like glow sticks or bracelets. You can also give out moon and star-shaped cookies decorated with glow-in-the-dark icing.
- Attire Accents: Add glow-in-the-dark accents to your wedding day attire, such as a starry veil, star necklace, or cosmic cufflinks. You can also use glow-in-the-dark paint to create a fun shoe design.
So get creative and bring your ideas to life.
No matter how you incorporate glow-in-the-dark accents into your wedding, they will surely add a fun and unique touch to your wedding!
Space-Themed Wedding Dress Ideas
6. Celestial-Inspired Wedding Dresses
A celestial-inspired wedding dress can add a unique and ethereal touch to your space-themed wedding. Here are some ideas for celestial-inspired wedding dresses:
- Starry Lace: Look for wedding dresses that feature intricate lace designs with star or constellation motifs. The lace can be a subtle nod to the celestial theme and will look beautiful in photos and be a nod to a beautiful starry night sky.
- Metallic Accents: Dresses with metallic accents, such as silver or gold embroidery or beading, can create a celestial look. You can also look for dresses with metallic tulle or overlay for an extra shimmer.
- Ombre Colors: Consider a wedding dress with a gradient of colors, such as shades of blue, purple, and black, to create a galaxy-inspired effect. This can subtly incorporate the celestial theme while still having a traditional white wedding dress.
- Starry Veils: Add a starry touch to your bridal look with a veil that features embroidered or beaded stars. You can also look for a veil with metallic thread or sequins for extra sparkle.
- Cosmic Capes: Consider a wedding dress that features a detachable cape with a galaxy-inspired design. This can be a stunning statement piece for your ceremony and add an ethereal touch to your bridal look.
Whichever celestial inspired wedding dress you go for, finding one that makes you feel beautiful and confident on your special day is essential.
7. Starry Suits for Grooms
Starry suits are a fun and unique option for grooms looking to incorporate a space-themed element into their wedding attire.
Here are some ideas for suits for the groom:
- Cosmic Blazers: Look for blazers with a starry or galaxy-inspired pattern. You can choose a black or navy base with metallic accents to create a subtle celestial look.
- Constellation Accessories: Add a celestial touch to your suit with accessories that feature constellation designs, such as cufflinks or tie clips. You can also add a starry pocket square for extra detail.
- Metallic Details: Look for suits with metallic accents, such as silver or gold buttons or lapels. These small details can create a celestial effect and add a touch of elegance to your suit.
- Starry Trousers: Consider trousers with a subtle starry or constellation pattern. These can be paired with a classic white shirt and blazer for a more understated look.
- Cosmic Bowties: Add a fun touch to your wedding attire with a bowtie that features a galaxy-inspired design. Look for bowties with metallic thread or sequins for extra sparkle.
No matter how you incorporate the celestial theme into your wedding attire, it’s important to find pieces that make you feel comfortable and confident on your special day.
Looking the part is great – but don’t let an uncomfortable garment spoil your wedding party.
8. Space-Themed Bridesmaids Dresses
There are many ways to incorporate the celestial theme into your bridesmaids’ dresses.
Here are some ideas for space-themed bridesmaids dresses:
- Starry Tulle: Look for bridesmaids’ dresses with tulle overlays that feature star or constellation designs. These dresses can add a subtle touch of magic to your bridal party.
- Metallic Accents: Consider dresses with metallic accents, such as silver or gold sequins, beading, or embroidery. These dresses can create a celestial effect and add a touch of elegance to your bridal party.
- Gradient Colors: Choose dresses in shades of blue, purple, and black to create a galaxy-inspired effect. You can also look for dresses with a gradient effect, starting with a lighter color at the top and fading into a darker color at the bottom.
- Cosmic Prints: Look for bridesmaids’ dresses with a cosmic print, such as stars, galaxies, or constellations. These dresses can create a fun and unique look for your bridal party.
Whatever you decide to pick for your bridesmaid dresses, it’s important to find dresses that make your bridesmaids feel good and confident on your special day.
Let your bridesmaids help with your wedding plans; they may have some great ideas to help you bring your vision to life.
9. Cosmic Accessories
Cosmic, space, and galaxy themed accessories are a fun and unique way to incorporate the celestial theme into your wedding.
Here are some ideas for cosmic accessories:
- Starry Hair Accessories: Add a celestial touch to your bridal look with starry hair accessories, such as a starry hair clip, headband, or crown. You can also add starry hairpins for an extra touch of detail.
- Cosmic Jewelry: Look for jewelry with a celestial theme, such as star-shaped earrings, a moon and star pendant necklace, or a galaxy-inspired bracelet. These pieces can add a touch of magic to your bridal look.
- Celestial Clutch: Carry a clutch with a celestial design, such as a moon and star pattern, to complement your bridal look. Look for metallic or glitter details for an extra shimmer. Midnight blue is a great celestial color to consider.
- Galaxy Shoes: Consider wearing shoes with a galaxy-inspired design, such as a black base with metallic accents and glitter stars. These shoes can add a fun and unique touch to your bridal look.
- Cosmic Veil: Add a touch of magic to your bridal look with a veil that features a celestial design, such as embroidered stars or a galaxy-inspired pattern. You can also add a starry hair comb to complete the look.
Whichever accessories you choose, it’s important to find pieces that complement your bridal look and make you feel beautiful and confident on your special day.
Space-Themed Wedding Favors
10. Moon Rock Candy
Moon rock candy is a fun and unique space-themed wedding favor that is sure to delight your guests!
Here’s how you can make some moon rock candy yourself:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Black food coloring
- Silver or gray edible glitter
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, water, and cream of tartar. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Do not stir the mixture once it starts boiling.
- Attach a candy thermometer to the side of the pan and continue cooking until the mixture reaches 300 degrees F.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and a few drops of black food coloring.
- Pour the mixture onto a greased baking sheet and sprinkle with silver or gray edible glitter.
- Allow the candy to cool completely and break into small pieces to resemble moon rocks.
- Package the moon rock candy in small clear bags or boxes and tie them with a ribbon or tag that says “moon rock candy.”
Your guests will love this unique and tasty space-themed wedding favor sweet treat, and it’s a great way to add an extra touch of magic to your special day.
11. Personalized Constellation Maps
Personalized constellation maps are a thoughtful and unique wedding favor your guests will love.
Here’s how to make personalized constellation maps:
- Choose a website that creates personalized star maps based on a specific date and location. Some popular options include Under Lucky Stars, Modern Map Art, and The Night Sky.
- Enter the date and location of your wedding to create a personalized star map that shows the position of the stars and constellations on that date.
- Customize the map with your name, wedding date, and any other special details you’d like to include.
- Print the map on high-quality paper or cardstock and frame it for a beautiful and unique wedding favor.
- Package the framed maps in gift boxes or bags and add a tag or ribbon that says, “Thank you for sharing our starry night.”
Your guests will love this personalized and meaningful space-themed wedding favor, and it’s a great way to commemorate your special day.
12. Miniature Spaceships or Astronaut Figurines
Miniature spaceships or astronaut figurines are a fun idea for your space-themed wedding favors.
Here are some ideas:
- Choose miniature spaceships or astronaut figurines that fit your wedding theme. Look for options that come in metallic or space-inspired colors.
- Package the figurines in clear boxes or bags and add a personalized tag or ribbon that says, “Thank you for joining us on our space adventure.”
- Display the figurines on your reception tables as part of your decor. You can also use them as place card holders by attaching a small card with your guests’ names.
- Include a small note with each figurine that explains its significance to your wedding, such as “Our love is out of this world” or “Thank you for helping us launch our new life together.”
Little spaceships or astronaut figurines are a fun and creative way to incorporate the space theme into your wedding favors.
Your guests will love taking a piece of your space themed wedding home with them.
You could also consider using such small figures on your wedding cake as a cake topper.
13. Cosmic Coasters or Shot Glasses
Cosmic coasters or shot glasses are a fun and useful space-themed wedding favor.
Your guests will be sure to love the thought.
Here are some ideas for incorporating them into your wedding:
- Choose coasters or shot glasses that feature a galaxy or space-inspired design. Look for options that come in metallic or space-inspired colors.
- Customize the coasters or shot glasses with your names, wedding date, and any other special details you’d like to include.
- Package the coasters or shot glasses in gift boxes or bags and add a personalized tag or ribbon that says, “Cheers to love that’s out of this world.”
- Display the coasters or shot glasses on your reception tables as part of your decor. You can also use them as place card holders by attaching a small card with your guests’ names.
- Include a small note with each coaster or shot glass that explains its significance to your wedding, such as “Take a piece of the stars home with you” or “Thank you for helping us launch our new life together.”
Coasters or shot glasses are a fun way to incorporate the celestial theme into your wedding favors, and your guests will love using them at home as a reminder of your special day.
They can also be used as Q-Tip or toothpick holders if you are concerned about non-drinking guests.
Food & Drink Ideas (+ Space-Themed Wedding Cakes)
14. Moon and Star Shaped Appetizers
Moon and star-shaped appetizers are a fun and creative way to incorporate the space theme into your wedding menu.
Here are some ideas for moon and star-shaped appetizers for your wedding menu:
- Miniature Crescent Rolls: Use crescent roll dough to create miniature crescent moon-shaped appetizers. Fill them with your favorite cheese or meat filling for a tasty treat.
- Star-Shaped Miniature Sandwiches: Use a star-shaped cookie cutter to cut out bread, ham, cheese, etc., pieces. Stack up the sandwich ingredients for beautiful mini-sandwich appetizers.
- Star-Shaped Pizzas: Use a star-shaped cookie cutter to cut out pizza dough, add your favorite toppings, and bake for a fun and delicious appetizer.
- Moon-Shaped Cheese: Use a round cookie cutter to cut out pieces of cheese and then shape them into crescent moon shapes. Serve them with crackers or bread for a tasty appetizer.
- Star-Shaped Puff Pastry: Use a star-shaped cookie cutter to cut out pieces of puff pastry and then fill them with your favorite ingredients, such as spinach and feta or ham and cheese.
- Moon and Star-Shaped Fruit: Use cookie cutters to cut out moon and star shapes from fruit, such as watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew. Serve them on skewers for a fun and healthy appetizer.
Whatever you choose for your appetizers, they’re sure to be a hit with your guests, and adding some space-shaped bites add a fun and unique touch to your out-of-this-world wedding menu!
15. Galaxy-Inspired Cocktails
Galaxy-inspired cocktails are a fun and unique way to incorporate celestialness into your space-themed wedding.
Here are some ideas for galaxy-inspired cocktails to add to your celestial wedding theme:
- Cosmic Cosmo: Combine vodka, cranberry juice, blue curacao, and a splash of lime juice in a shaker with ice. Shake and strain into a martini glass and add a few drops of edible glitter for a shimmering effect.
- Nebula Negroni: Combine gin, Campari, and sweet vermouth in a shaker with ice. Shake and strain into a rocks glass filled with ice. Add a splash of black raspberry liqueur for a swirling effect.
- Starry Night Martini: Combine vodka, blue curacao, and pineapple juice in a shaker with ice. Shake and strain into a martini glass and add a sugar rim with edible glitter for a sparkling effect.
- Milky Way Mule: Combine vodka, ginger beer, and lime juice in a copper mug filled with ice. Add a splash of blue curacao and a drizzle of blackberry syrup for a galaxy-inspired effect.
- Solar Eclipse Sangria: Combine red wine, orange juice, lemon juice, triple sec, and sliced fruit in a large pitcher. Add a splash of blackberry liqueur and top with sparkling water. Serve in individual glasses with a star-shaped piece of fruit for a celestial touch.
Any galaxy-inspired cocktails on your menu will be sure to add a splash of extra fun to your wedding party and delight your guests.
Be creative and have fun with the names and presentation to create a memorable experience for everyone.
16. Space-Themed Cake or Desserts
A space-themed wedding cake is a perfect thing for your celestial wedding reception.
Here are some ideas for your space-themed wedding cake:
- Galaxy-Inspired Cake: Create a stunning galaxy-inspired cake using fondant. Add shades of blue, purple, and black and use metallic details, like silver and gold, to create a shimmering effect. You can also add edible glitter or stars for an extra touch of magic.
- Moon and Star Cake: Create a cake that resembles the night sky by incorporating moon and star elements. Use a moon-shaped cake topper or add star-shaped fondant accents to the cake layers.
- Planet Cake: Create a cake that resembles a planet, such as Saturn or Jupiter, by using fondant to create a ring or swirling effect. Add metallic details and edible glitter to create a stunning effect.
- Rocket Ship Cake: Create a cake that resembles a rocket ship by stacking cake layers in a tall, narrow shape. Use fondant to create a rocket ship design, and add metallic details and edible glitter for a shimmering effect.
- Constellation Cake: Use fondant to create a constellation design on your wedding cake. Add metallic details and edible glitter to create a celestial effect.
Once you’ve dreamed up your perfect wedding cake design, you may wish to have some other space themed desserts on your wedding menu.
Space Themed Wedding Dessert Ideas:
- Moon Pies: Create moon-shaped cookies or cakes and fill them with marshmallow fluff or cream for a delicious and fun dessert.
- Galactic Brownies: Add a swirl of blue and purple food coloring to your brownie batter to create a galaxy-inspired effect. You can also add silver or gold sprinkles for extra sparkle.
- Star-Shaped Cookies: Use star-shaped cookie cutters to create cookies and decorate them with a galaxy-inspired design using colored frosting or edible glitter.
- Planetary Popsicles: Create popsicles with layers of different colored juices or smoothies to represent different planets. You can also add edible glitter or stars for extra pizazz.
- Cosmic Cupcakes: Use fondant to create a galaxy-inspired effect on your cupcakes. Add shades of blue, purple, and black, and use metallic details, like silver and gold, to create a shimmering effect. You can also add edible glitter or stars for an extra touch of magic.
Weddings in Space FAQs
Has anyone ever got married in space?
Ekaterina Dmitriev wed the love of her life on August 10, 2003, when he was floating 250 miles above her in space. The first space wedding was conducted through a satellite link while Dmitriev was present at the NASA offices in Houston, Texas.
How many people have been married in space?
On November 3, 1963, Valentina Tereshkova and Andriyan Nikolayev, two Soviet cosmonauts, were wed. On June 16, 1963, Tereshkova launched aboard Vostok 6, becoming the first woman to go in space.
Can I get married in space?
Absolutely, and it actually has happened. While he was aboard the International Space Station, Yuri Malenchenko was married to Ekaterina Dmitrieva, who was living in Texas. A few services, including First Advantage, are also accepting reservations for weddings on sub-orbital flights.
Why are married couples not allowed in space?
The only space agency in the world with this policy is NASA. The official justification given by NASA for this rule is that having married spouses on board a space mission would start to bother the other astronauts.
Who was the first human who got married in space?
Malenchenko served as the Soyuz commander. After docking with the ISS, they exchanged with the resident crew on board. They became the seventh station crew, Expedition 7. Malenchenko was the commander of Expedition 7. During his stay on the station, he became the first person to get married in space.