In this guide, you will learn everything you need to know about planning or attending a destination wedding in Sri Lanka.
Weddings in Sri Lanka: What You Need To Know
If you’re looking for a truly exotic destination wedding, Sri Lanka should be at the top of your list.
With its stunning beaches, lush jungle landscapes and rich cultural heritage, Sri Lanka offers something truly unique for your special day.
The country’s diverse range of facilities and activities means there’s something to suit every taste and budget, whether you’re looking for a luxurious resort experience or a more rustic, intimate affair.
So if you’re searching for a once-in-a-lifetime destination wedding experience, look no further than Sri Lanka.
But first: you need to know where in the world Sri Lanka is…
Where is Sri Lanka?
Sri Lanka is an island country located in the Indian Ocean, off the southeastern coast of India. It is separated from the Indian subcontinent by the Gulf of Mannar and the Palk Strait.
Area: 25,332 sq mi (65,610 sq km), Population: (2022 est.) 22,152,000, Capitals: Colombo (executive and judicial), Sri Jayewardenepura Kotte (legislative)
Sri Lanka Facts To Know:
- Language: Sinhala and Tamil
- Currency: Sri Lankan rupee (SRL)
- Airports: Colombo Airport (CMB), Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport (HRI), Jaffna International Airport (JAF)
- Official Tourism Website: https://www.srilanka.travel/
- Driving side: Left
Below you will find some more useful information about visiting Sri Lanka for your special day:
4 Tips for Planning a Destination Wedding in Sri Lanka
Planning a wedding can be stressful. Planning a destination wedding can be even more stressful!
But it doesn’t have to be. Here are some tips and things you need to know for planning a destination wedding in Sri Lanka:
1. Choose a date that works for both you and your guests
Choosing a wedding date can be a daunting task, whether you are planning on getting married in Sri Lanka or closer to home.
You want to make sure that you pick a date that works for both you and your guests.
Here are some tips to help you choose the perfect wedding date:
- How To Pick A Date For A Wedding?
- When To Send Out Save The Date For Wedding?
- How To Write Date On Wedding Invitation?
2. Decide on a budget
When it comes to having a Sri Lanka wedding, there are a lot of different factors that come into play – from the guest list to the venue.
But one of the most important decisions you’ll make is how much you’re willing to spend.
Here are some tips on how to decide on a budget for your wedding:
- How To Plan A Wedding On A Budget?
- What Is A Good Wedding Budget?
- How To Decorate A Wedding Reception Hall On A Budget?
3. Find a venue that fits your vision and budget
No one ever said wedding planning was easy. In fact, it can often feel downright daunting.
Here’s some useful resources for finding a wedding venue in Sri Lanka:
4. Hire a wedding planner to take care of the details
A wedding planner can take care of everything for you, from booking vendors to creating a timeline for the day.
Here are some tips on how to find and hire the right planner for your big day in Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka Weddings: Key Information
Getting married abroad is a big decision. There’s a lot of things you need to be aware of if you want your big day to run smoothly.
To help, we have put together some useful information about getting married in Sri Lanka:
- What is the average cost of a wedding in Sri Lanka?
- What are the marriage requirements for Sri Lanka?
- What is the weather like in Sri Lanka?
- What should you pack for a trip to Sri Lanka?
- What things are there to do in Sri Lanka?
- What are the best Sri Lanka wedding venues?
Read on to find out more:
How Much Does a Wedding in Sri Lanka Cost?
The notice of marriage will cost you about $1.
You can find the exact list of fees on this link.
Legal Requirements for Getting Married in Sri Lanka
When applying for a marriage license, you will need to provide the following documents:
- Valid passport.
- Birth certificate.
- Single status declaration.
- If you have already been married, provide the relevant documentation to demonstrate that you are either divorced or widowed.
- Name change document – generally all names on all documents need to match (including your parents’ names), otherwise proof of name change needs to be shown.
Other legal requirements are:
- To apply for a marriage license, one must be at least 18 years old.
- Foreigners must stay at least four days (three nights) in Sri Lanka before notifying a marriage registrar of intended marriage. Once the registrar is informed of the plan to marry, there is an extra fourteen-day waiting period before the actual marriage registration.
- 2 witnesses are required.
- There is no restriction for foreign people marrying in Sri Lanka, provided that they are in the country legally and get the proper marriage license.
- All international paperwork should be certified by the respective Foreign Office of the home of the partners, or relevant accredited countries, and legalized by the respective Sri Lankan Mission.
Before making any wedding or travel preparations, make sure you have all the paperwork needed for your marriage to be recognized in your home country by checking with the local county clerk or marriage official where you intend to marry.
What you need to have in your possession before leaving the country is a legal document that can confirm that your marriage is legitimate and has been registered – the marriage certificate.
What Is The Weather Like in Sri Lanka?
February and March are the best months to visit Sri Lanka as a whole, and because of this, they are also the best months to visit the cities in the interior of the country. This is true despite the fact that Sri Lanka is an equatorial country, where the rains can be unpredictable from one year to the next. In fact, it still rains a lot on the east coast in January, and it rains a lot from April to September in the south-west and inland areas. From October to December, it rains a lot all over the country.
For a beach vacation, you can go from mid-January to mid-September in the northwest, from January to March in Puttalam and Kalpitiya and on the south-west coast (from Colombo to Tangalle), from February or March to mid-September in Trincomalee, Batticaloa, and Kalmunai, and from January to mid-September in Hambantota.
May is typically the driest month of the year, with the exception of the western coast and the mountainous regions. However, during the middle of the month, a cyclone may develop on the Bay of Bengal, bringing heavy rainfall to the whole nation, which can lead to landslides and floods. So this period, roughly 10 – 20 May, can probably be avoided throughout Sri Lanka.
The east coast is the better option in the summer months of June through August due to the fact that it receives more sunshine and the water is more calm there. On the other hand, at this time of year, the weather is wet and stormy along the south-west coast all the way from Colombo to Tangalle, and the sea is rough.
What should you pack for your trip?
Packing light clothing made of natural fibers, a light raincoat or umbrella, comfortable shoes, a scarf for the wind, and a light sweatshirt for the evening is important all year round, particularly at low mountain levels (see Kandy).
Even at sea level, during the months of November through March, you may find it necessary to carry a light sweatshirt with you for the evenings, particularly in the northwest. At high elevations and in Nuwara Eliya, you should pack clothing appropriate for spring and fall, as well as a sweater and a jacket for the evening, and either a raincoat or an umbrella.
Bring your snorkeling gear, especially water shoes or shoes with rubber soles, with you when you go to the reef.
Before entering a temple, it is customary to remove shoes, dress neatly and cover a little.
Sri Lanka Weather By Month
Below you will find some useful information and handy tables of weather information to help you pick the best month to visit Sri Lanka:
Average Temperatures in Sri Lanka
The table below shows the average temperatures in Sri Lanka each month:
|Month||Min (°C)||Max (°C)||Mean (°C)||Min (°F)||Max (°F)||Mean (°F)|
Average Rainfall in Sri Lanka
The table below shows the average rainfall in Sri Lanka each month:
Sunshine Hours in Sri Lanka
The table below shows the average sunshine hours in Sri Lanka each month:
Sea Temperatures in Sri Lanka
The table below shows the average sea temperatures in Sri Lanka each month:
|Month||Celsius (°C)||Fahrenheit (°F)|
What To Wear in Sri Lanka? (Packing Tips)
It can be difficult to know what to pack for your vacation. However, there are a few things you should keep in mind when preparing for your trip.
We’ve put together some tips on what to wear in Sri Lanka so that you can make the most of your time there.
- Pack light, breathable clothing made from natural fibers like cotton, as the climate is warm and humid.
- A hat or sunglasses: The sun is strong in Sri Lanka so be sure to pack a hat or sunglasses to protect your eyes.
- Sunscreen: Don’t forget sunscreen!
- Beachwear: Sri Lanka is home to some of the world’s most beautiful beaches!
- Insect repellent: Pack insect repellent, as mosquitoes can be a problem in some areas.
- A camera: With its lush landscapes and abundance of wildlife, Sri Lanka is truly a photographer’s paradise. So pack your gear and get ready to capture some amazing shots.
- In terms of footwear, sandals or flip-flops are a necessity, while closed-toe comfortable shoes are needed for hikes and other activities.
- Passport: Other essential items to pack include a valid passport and any necessary visas.
- Travel insurance: Make sure you have travel insurance that will cover you in case of any medical emergencies or lost baggage.
- Chargers: Also, be sure to bring along any chargers and travel power adapters you’ll need for your electronic devices.
- First-aid kit: It is also a good idea to pack a first-aid kit, in case of any minor injuries, and also any essential medications.
Things to Do in Sri Lanka
There are many different things to do in Sri Lanka, no matter what time of year you visit.
Here is a list of some of the top activities to enjoy during your stay:
- Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic
- Gangaramaya (Vihara) Buddhist Temple
- Horton Plains National Park
- Little Adam’s Peak
- Galle Fort
- Mirissa Beach
- Hikkaduwa Beach
- Sigiriya The Ancient Rock Fortress
- Arugam Bay
- Nine Arches Bridge
- Udawalawe National Park
- Lipton’s Seat
- Pidurangala Rock
Best Sri Lanka Wedding Venues & Hotels
With so many stunning locations to choose from, how do you know which is the best wedding venue in Sri Lanka?
Here are our picks for the top spots to tie the knot, as well as hotels to stay in:
Wedding Venues in Sri Lanka
- Shangri-La Colombo Hotel
- Weligama Bay Marriott Resort and Spa
- Taj Samudra in Colombo
- Jetwing Blue
- The Barnhouse
- Arie lagoon
- Tintagel Colombo
- Cinnamon Lodge
- Ceylon Tea Trails
- Taprobane Island
Hotels in Sri Lanka
- The Summit – Kandy
- The Lucky Elephant – Hikkaduwa
- Hotel MaRadha Colombo
- Golden Beach Paradise – Tangalle\
- Habarana Farm Cottage – Avudangawa
- Candle House
- Blue Ocean Resort – Netolpitiya
- Moksha at Kitulgala – Rainforest Luxury Boutique
- Elephant Park Family Bungalow – Udawalawe
- Palm Garden Ayurveda Resort – Ahangama